It's a messy world out there and a lot gets lost in the effort to "make things better." Regardless of what role I've ever been hired for, I always had a predilection towards organizing, optimizing, and seeking precision.
The effort I put in for a company distinctly gives them huge advantage in terms of getting work done correctly and consistently. This can range from the mundane things like fewer misspellings and more clear processes and documentation, fewer bugs, higher quality output, and actionable metrics all the way to more well defined and useful products and overall smarter, more sophisticated, and more self-aware employees.
I amplify and magnify the positive aspects of a company, bringing awareness and helping them grow into their full potential.
For most companies, the title noted is the last title I held with that company.
Leadership and Technical Roles
Operational Program Management Consultant
Apr 2018 - Present @ Austin, TX
- Managerial training and coaching, helping C-suite and VP teams better communicate with their org.
- Provide operational services, such as improving communication skills, demonstrating better opsec practices, and doing high-level fiscal analysis.
- Project management services, including doing early-term project time and cost analysis and educating teams on best practices.
- Implement knowledge management services that support greater discovery and usability.
- Provide interviewing services for technical roles, especially software development.
- Get sense of how I work through my PDF, Truly Professional Instant Messaging (with Slack!) 🔗.
Phi Labs Global ~ Product Operations Manager
Web and Blockchain Development
Sep 2022 - Apr 2023 @ Austin, TX
- Established technical product management office and streamlined processes to improve interdepartmental collaboration and task execution.
- Developed a cross-functional work management system that facilitated effective communication and workflow across departments.
- Streamlined processes and improved alignment of all departments, resulting in increased productivity and efficiency.
- Wrote the basis for the Area-52.io Cosmwasm training website, including the first course.
AktaryTech ~ Director of Service Delivery
Web Development Consulting Services
Apr 2021 - Present @ Austin, TX
- Developed accurate time and cost estimates for potential clients, ensuring a successful bidding process.
- Cultivated strong relationships with active clients to ensure their project goals were met and exceeded expectations.
- Led a team of 4-5 developers in the implementation of projects focused on Ethereum and Cosmos based blockchain technologies.
- Authored core UI code using TypeScript, React, and Tailwind CSS frameworks to deliver rapid project solutions.
CESCO Magnetics ~ ERP Solutions Consultant
Food Safety Product Manufacturing
Nov 2020 – Aug 2021 @ Georgetown, TX
- Implemented inventory migration program from spreadsheets and Microsoft Access to Global Shop Solutions ERP.
- Established best practices for use of BOMs and routers on the shop floor, in office, and with sales.
- Eliminated tedious steps in quality assurance certification process.
- Provided analysis of various business functions including inventory tracking, order processing, and manufacturing steps.
Public Speaking & Leadership Coach
Dec 2016 - Mar 2020 @ Austin, TX
- Lead a number of public speaking training sessions for various non-profits.
Digital Turbine ~ Director of IT & Business Operations Manager
Mobile Application Marketing
Oct 2014 – Mar 2015 @ Austin, TX
- Led the creation and management of a new software team to deliver strategic company initiatives.
- Provided technical expertise to identify and address process weaknesses, minimizing risks in cloud and client services.
- Successfully transitioned the company's primary product from IPv4 to support IPv6 on Amazon AWS EC2 & ELB instances.
- Facilitated smooth product releases by collaborating with business account teams at major wireless service companies, including Verizon, Sprint, and US Cellular.
Intel Corporation ~ Operations Program Manager
Aug 2011 – Oct 2014 @ Hillsboro, OR
- Successfully implemented Agile/DevOps system and project management methodology for 100+ developers, resulting in the completion of three projects and saving millions of dollars by discontinuing unnecessary projects based on data analysis.
- Provided competitive analysis services for camera user experience.
- Improved metrics tracking, leading to better decision-making and resource allocation, ultimately increasing efficiency and productivity.
Viva! Vision, Inc. ~ Director of Software Development & IT Operations
Mobile Entertainment Software
Dec 2005 - Sep 2010 @ San Diego, CA
- Developed mobile phone apps as the primary UI architect and developer using C++, Java, and Objective-C.
- Reduced new product release times from 2+ weeks to under one week while doubling DB and client query performance in a six-month project focused on code refactoring, automation, and improving user experience.
- Saved tens of thousands of dollars per project and streamlined the software team by reducing paid intern content creation staff from 8 to 3, resulting in a leaner and more agile team.
Kyocera Wireless Corp. ~ Sr. Software Engineer Lead
Mobile Phone Manufacturing
Feb 2003 - Dec 2005 @ San Diego, CA
- Developed C/C++ Feature Phone UI and provided build master backup support using Perforce.
- Improved overall output by establishing coding standards in liaison with the UI/UX design group.
- Analyzed build times to increase productivity, reducing raw build time from 4 hours to 30 minutes through code refactoring and dependency fixes.
- Managed joint quality and user experience testing committee tasked with finding and implementing upfront testing strategies.
- Part of the hiring committee tasked with ramping up the software team to support a large scale growth product development.
Qualcomm, Inc. ~ Software Engineer & Project Manager
Feb 1997 - Feb 2003 @ San Diego, CA
- Developed a robust product life cycle system that decreased customer care calls, reduced manufacturing and repair waste, and improved the quality of future products.
- Lead C UI developer for Qualcomm's original smartphone lineup on PalmOS.
- Provided technical support for the Eudora email client and server applications.
CTS Network Services ~ Customer Support Supervisor
Internet Service Provider
Mar 1996 - Feb 1997 @ San Diego, CA
- Managed the technical support team and engaged with the network team to solve outages.
- Created training courses for new customer support employees.
- B.A. in Mathematics @ University of California | San Diego, CA 1996
- B.S. in Computer Science @ Coleman University | La Mesa, CA 1998
- Professional Scrum Master @ Scrum.org | Austin, TX, 2020
- Advanced Communicator & Leadership Awards @ Toastmasters International | TX & OR | 2013-Present
- Certified Usability Analyst @ Human Factors International | Hillsboro, OR 2012
Software Developer Proficiencies
- Frontend: TypeScript plus React, Vue, and Next.js, using Tailwind and Sass for CSS.
- Backend: Node.js (with Express), PostgreSQL (with TypeORM), StrapiCMS, and Rust with working knowledge of AWS (mainly S3) and GCP (Cloud Storage, Google App Engine, and Google SQL).
- Supplementary: VBA, Google App Scripts, git, GitHub Actions.
- C, C++, Objective-C, C#, Java, PHP, MySQL, Joomla.
Cook and Recycling Manager for Potluck in the Park
Mar 2013 - Mar 2014 @ Portland, OR
For this non-profit that provided weekly meals for the homeless, cooked and served meals as well as supported the recycling process for all of the discarded packaging.
Consultant for Outdoor Outreach
Jul 2009 - Jul 2011 @ San Diego, CA
For this non-profit that provided leadership training to at-risk youths, provided technical advice ranging from computer systems to best practices for operations. Also participated in several fund-raisers.